Friday, May 21, 2010

30 Days of Giving: Day 2

Day 2:
I was in Baltimore for work and decided to make a little trip to Washington, DC to see the sites. As I was walking from the White House to the Washington Monument, a homeless man named Tony asked me for 90 cents. I gave him a dollar and he then asked me about the logo on my shirt. I explained to him the company that I work for and we chatted back and forth for a few minutes. We eventually said our goodbyes, and I began to walk off when it hit me that God had just put an enormous opportunity to bless somebody right in front of my face. I turned around and asked Tony if he could tell me where I could find the Lincoln Memorial (hoping to spur on further conversation). He started giving me directions and then said, "Would you like me to just show you?" I said yes, and that started my 2 hour tour across Washington, DC with my new friend.

We talked about life, shared our pasts, discussed our families, unpacked faith, and carried on great conversation the entire time we were together. At the end of my tour with Tony, I asked if he was hungry. He said no, but offered to walk me to the nearby McDonalds so that I could eat. When we arrived at the Golden Arches I offered to buy him dinner. He refused time and time again, so I paid for my meal and bought Tony a $20 gift card.

There were a few things about Tony that stood out to me that day. After his initial request of $.90, Tony never asked for anything else. He didn't hassle me for money, or feed me a story that left me feeling sorry for him. He simply wanted somebody to talk to...to share life with. Tony has a story just like you and I do, and unfortunately his story led him to a lifestyle that we all hope to never endure. Tony was an aviation mechanic until a year ago when the airline he worked for laid him off. Seems to me, especially in the current economic environment, that Tony's misfortune could easily happen to anyone.

I am so thankful that God opened the door for me to meet Tony early on in my "30 Days of Giving" endeavor. I was forced to see that there is a story behind every face, and I have no way of finding out what that story is unless I ask.

Love big...it always wins.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment